The following are simple descriptions of the six key areas of the Listening Life approach to spiritual formation. Each of these areas are vital to a healthy life with God. We hope that you continue to explore your spiritual life as you consider these areas.
Love Relationship with God
- God loves every person deeply and is pursuing us with a persistent love.
- God is the one who initiates, changes, and calls us.
- Spiritual formation is not a set of steps, works, or plan but a relationship with Christ, who came to show us the saving love of God. (for more…)
- We join God’s transforming love as we engage in spiritual practices, disciplines, prayer, scripture, and offer ourselves as living sacrifices.
- Our part of the relationship is to respond to and accept God’s love.
- The Spirit changes us as we deal with sin and addictions by creating space for healing. (for more…)
- We cooperate with God as we follow the nudges and learn to listen to Christ in all of life through times of celebration, normalcy, suffering, and grief.
- Spiritual formation happens as we practice the presence of God and follow the Holy Spirit.
- We join Christ’s work as we offer ourselves to God every moment of the day and night. (for more…)
- We need to be listening to Christ in community as we find support and encouragement.
- The key is to have accountability, practice the One Another scriptures, engage in confession, and seek discernment with others.
- The great cloud of witnesses, who have gone before us, need to be part of our community as well as those at home and next door. (for more…)
- Each individual is unique and different than any other person and can discover their spiritual personality while journeying with Christ.
- We need to hold things loosely, give things a try, be patient with the process, and practice prayer.
- God will meet us in specific ways and call out specific gifts in us. (for more…)
- When we listen to Christ we are called to live out love and minister to those who are lost, hurting, poor, and oppressed.
- God’s love will flow through us in mission, specific callings, and ministries, as we are all a part of the priesthood of all believers.
- The best indication of God’s work within us is the fruit of the Spirit exhibited in our relationships with others. (for more…)